Jane & finch First Year Network: First Generation Post-Secondary Program
Building on the current programming the CEC offers in the local high schools, we are presenting the First Generation Post-Secondary Education Program that will be targeted to ten students from local high schools.
This program will provide intensive on-going supports to these ten students which will include transition support during the summer prior to their entry to York University as well wrap around case management from September-April. This is intended to provide intensive transitional support to specific students.
- Provide opportunities for collaborative learning with peers;
- Provide a meaningful context for Students to learn new concepts and skills;
- Increase Students’ capacity to navigate York University;
- Provide wraparound holistic support to Students through an empowerment based approach;
- Increase first year completion rate among local Jane and Finch Students;
- Increase 4 year graduation rate.
Under the supervision of the Community Project Coordinator, York University BSW students will be mentoring five students each. Part of their responsibilities will be to hold weekly sessions with each of their students. The BSW students will also be responsible for planning and facilitating a monthly meeting for all 10 participants.
- Tour of York Campus
- Meet & Greet with the BSW placement students
- Weekly meetings
- Referrals to Local Resources
- Weekly Academic Planning
- Referral to On-Campus Supports
- Brief Supportive Counselling
- Ongoing supports
- Self-Advocacy Supports
- Monthly all team meetings
- Share experiences
- Workshop on topics of interest
- Guest facilitators