Best Practices for Jane-Finch & York University Partnerships:
This orientation session to working in Jane and Finch is based on “best practices” for engaging with the local community. The training is delivered through an arts-based approach.
Topics covered include:
- History of Jane-Finch
- Historical relationship of Jane-Finch and York University
- Unpacking power, privilege, oppression
- Racial profiling in the community
- De-bunking stereotypes attached to the community
- Unpacking messaging in the media about Jane-Finch
- Cultural sensitivity
- Culturally relevancy
- What does it mean to be a good ally?
- Research vs. Extraction
- Best practices for partnerships
- Case studies of past partnerships
- Establishing support systems
The training takes place over 5 x 3 hour sessions throughout the Winter Term.
This 15 hour training can be added as a co-curricular activity on transcripts, can be leveraged for course work, and adds to your portfolio for relevant professional development training.