The YORK-TD COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT CENTRE (CEC) is a York University office located off campus in the Yorkgate Mall at Jane and Finch. Members affiliated with the CEC share a commitment to social justice and to community capacity building.
Our mandate is to support teaching and research and to provide resources in ways that have mutually beneficial outcomes for both the university and the community. We do this by strengthening, building and sustaining partnerships and collaborations between the local community and York University.
The CEC identifies opportunities for our students to provide services and support to the local community as part of their learning. As an active community hub we provide space for programs that connect York students and faculty to community partners. Along with our collaborators, our students, faculty and staff deliver valuable services to the area while creating a rich learning environment for our students. Examples include:
- Free income tax clinics for residents of the local community during tax season
- Action and education networks focused on community finance and food justice
- Supports increased access to post-secondary education by providing space and support for various initiatives including York’s Bridging Courses for Women and monthly general information sessions on university admissions and financial aid
- Offers valuable support for collaborative research activity. Committed to community based research, we bring together community and university researchers and provide a mechanism to develop a community-informed research agenda
- Organizes several free events to educate and/or entertain. We offer a diverse and rotating menu of seminars, concerts, public talks and professional development workshops. Ask us about upcoming events and activities
A brochure about the CEC is now available, please view our events page for more information.
Please visit again, and email us your contact information so we can keep you informed about the exciting developments at the CEC.